Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 6: Goodbye Rotorua, Hello Auckland!

We slept on the bus ride back to the city and unloaded the bus for the last time. I found out I would be rooming with my two friends who also happened to go to UVM; Carrie and Emma. We were really excited and immediately moved in.

After exploring the city, finding the supermarket and the New Zealand version of Walmart (known as The Warehouse) we were whooped. Especially after looking at the prices here!

FUN FACT #8: New Zealand has no pennies here. Everything is rounded to 5. Super awkward when I  stuck out my hand waiting for my 3 cents change and the cashier looked at me like I was an idiot. It was like I had "Ignorant American" stamped on my forehead. My bad.

FUN FACT #9: The exchange rate here is $1 U.S. to $1.21 N.Z. But wait, lets not forget that New Zealand is an island, and therefore has to have almost everything imported. Holy. Crap. Stuff is expensive here. Groceries, cleaning supplies, you name it. MASCARA IS TWENTY-SEVEN DOLLARS HERE!!! Thank you Santa for that extra supply in my stocking this year. And don't get me started about alcohol, you really don't want to know.

Anyway, it was a rather low key day, other than the workout my wallet got. Excited for new adventures in the big city!

No comments:

Post a Comment