Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 13: Rangitoto Island

Down by the bus station, called Britomart, is also where you go to catch a ferry to the many different small islands around Auckland. My friends Sara, Brett and I decided to take one to Rangitoto Island for the day.


It was about $28 round trip and well worth the money. We enjoyed the short 20 minute boat ride to the island. I was very excited to hike Mt. Rangitoto, as I had heard it was much more of a climb than Mt. Eden. Rangitoto is also an inactive volcano, and has massive amounts of dry volcanic rock fields all around the island. (I snagged some to bring home. Hopefully customs lets it through. Fingers crossed!)

We enjoyed our hike up the mountain, and viewed the massive crater of the volcano at the top. What I found most interesting about the top of Rangitoto was an old World War II look-out building. Apparently, some of the New Zealand Military was based there to keep eyes on Auckland and to house some American troops. It was a very cool site with an incredible view. Sara, Brett and I really enjoyed our day exploring the island and its history.

No comments:

Post a Comment