Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DAY 120: Oh Sydney

Shaina and I had a lot of exploring to do! We woke up early and headed for the Botanic Gardens. On the way, we stopped at the New South Wales Art Museum (which was ten times better than the Auckland one). It was so cool - the first painting I saw was of Milford Sound, which I had been to! The painting was so real, it was crazy.

After the art museum, we took a stroll through the gardens and out towards the bay. We saw the Opera House by day light and went inside to pick up our ballet tickets for that evening.

We went down to the harbor and bought ferry tickets to Manly Beach. Shaina and I walked around the town a bit, sat on the beach and enjoyed the sunshine, got some lunch, and headed back to the city. We got fancy at the hostel and met up with my friends Brett and Sarah for dinner!

Brett and Sarah were also exploring Australia, and we were lucky enough to be in Sydney at the same time. They convinced Shaina and I to go to the ballet with them. We ate at a Taiwanese Restaurant, which I had never had before. It was really good! We had a few glasses of wine and then headed to the Opera House. At a bar outside, we all split a bottle of wine and picked up Brett and Sarah's tickets.

The show was called "Blak" and it was put on by the Bangarra Dance Company. They were all of Aboriginal  descent, which was pretty cool. The music was all Aboriginal as well, and it was very repetitive. This kind of show wasn't really what I was prepared to see- I mean, it is very contemporary and is not what I think of when I think of Ballet.

Regardless, I'm making excuses. Because I am a terrible person... I fell asleep during the show.

I know, I know! I'm at the Sydney Opera House! But we drank quite a bit of wine before hand, it was really dark, and the seats were super comfy! Sarah fell asleep for a little bit too!

I caught the end of it, which was actually really well done. Shaina and Brett loved it, so I guess that's what matters.

After the show, we said good bye to each other and headed back to our hostels.











No comments:

Post a Comment