Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DAY 131: Last Night in Auckland

My final week in Auckland was pretty uneventful. Aside from some final meals with friends and a few birthday celebrations, it was a fairly mellow week. Tonight, we finished where we started with drinks at Danny Doolin's (the first bar we went to in Auckland).

And now it is time to say goodbye to the city and country I have called home these past 5 months. It's hard to believe that not long ago I was painting houses and waiting tables to pay for my ticket here, and now I'm about to board the plane to leave.

This country has been incredible. The places I've been, the adventures I've had, the people I have met will always stay with me. I love New Zealand. It's where I became sort of a badass and an explorer, where I made some of my best friends. I'm so sad this experience is coming to a close, but it makes me so grateful for all that I have accomplished. I learned the Haka, and saw an All Blacks Game. I learned about the Maori Culture and became a better person because of it. I saw more of New Zealand than most Kiwis ever have! I went caving, and sky diving, and bungy jumping. I did some of the hardest hikes of my life and saw the most breathtaking views. I paddled around the Milford Sound, I skied down Mt. Doom's ash, I ran down the stairs of Mueller Hut Track, laughing with my friends as I went. I saw the Tasman Sea hit the Pacific, and saw dolphins in the Auckland Bay. I stayed at more hostels and campsites than I can count; even a nudist colony! I had the time of my life, and I did it all with friends who quickly became my family here. I love these people, and even though I'm leaving New Zealand, I never plan on losing them. Friendship isn't about whom you've known the longest. It's about who showed up and never left your heart.

But we have one more adventure ahead guys, as we board a plane in a couple of hours. Lets make it count. FIJI HERE WE COME!

This was Lizzy's final project for Photography. Well Done Liz!

No comments:

Post a Comment