Sunday, June 23, 2013

DAY 72: More Hiking, More Beautiful Beaches

FUN FACT #31: Part of the process of hiking the Abel Tasman track is that there are many "tidal crossings". This means that planning the length of your hike each day can get tricky, because you have to plan exactly for when the water will be low.

Emma and I started VERY early to make sure we made all of our tidal crossings. The Kiwi folks we met the night before told us about Cleopatra's Pool which has some cool rock water slides. We took a short detour to take a look, and it was really cool. But we had just started our hike and were still chilly, so we decided not to go in.

... Further down the trail (about 3 hours later) we came to a small pool in a stream on the side of the trail. We were hot and tired and smelly, and we stood there staring at it for about 10 minutes.

"Should we?"
"I mean, I'm really hot..."
"And smelly..."



"But we would have to put on our suits, its right next to the trail, people are going to walk by..."
"And its soooooo cold...."

So yeah, we went in. People gave us looks, we screamed when we hit the water, but we felt ten million times better after.

We had a few more tidal crossings- one of which had the most sand dollars and star fish I have ever seen!!! They were everywhere! Each time I took a step, I felt one crunching under my feet. They were too fragile to bring home, so Emma and I let them be and kept hiking. We spent the night at the Awaroa Campsite, and built our tent as fast as we could. DAMN SAND FLIES! Seriously, they're murder.








No comments:

Post a Comment