Sunday, June 23, 2013

DAYS 67-69: More Rain and More Traveling

DAY 67: So we woke up, and it was still pouring. Awesome. Emma and I put back on our wet clothes from the day before and packed up. We decided not to continue the hike, and figured if we stayed where the water taxi guy was supposed to come pick up our stuff, we could get a ride back with him. So we scrunched inside this teeny tiny little shack on a pier and waited. And waited. Until I got so impatient, I decided to walk a little further on the track into the small town to find a phone.
in our teeny tiny shack...

Instead, I found a bar/cafe who called the taxi company and told them to pick us up there. I went back and got Emma, we dragged our stuff to the Cafe, and promptly ordered a hot chocolate with Bailey's. It. Was. Heaven.

happy to be on our way out




The water taxi guy picked us up about an hour and a half later while we sat with a very nice old man from Texas as we watched the New Zealand news. The boat ride lasted an hour, and as soon as we stepped off the boat, the sun came out. I though Emma was going to explode. I just couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all. The first thing we did was go to the laundromat, where we washed and dried everything we had. We stopped at the super market for some food (which was when it started raining again...) and then walked back to the hostel.
waiting for our bus to Nelson

DAY 68: We weren't leaving for our next location for another day, and it was still pouring, so Emma and I spent the day in the hostel. I read a bunch and made friends with some girls from Canada. Pretty uneventful.


DAY 69: That morning, we checked out of the hostel and went to catch our bus from Picton to Nelson.  Randomly, my friend Lizzy Fanning (the one I teach with) and her two friends had just gotten off of the boat from the North Island and were taking the same bus to Nelson as well! We all ended up at the same hostel and had a nice time walking around Nelson together. We partook in some pre-birthday champagne (Whoop Whoop, I'm 21!) and went to bed early. The three of them would start the Abel Tasman track the next day, while we planned on exploring Nelson and starting the track the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment